Untitled Document

Ministry to the Foreigners in Korea

Yoo,GangSik

2009-09-03 4:01:00  3150
- File 1 : Ministry_to_the_Foreigners_in_Korea.doc  (4 MB), Download : 1210

Ministries for Foreigners in Korea

Paul Yoo

1. Introduction

There are many numbers of foreigners that have left their own countries, to find some kind a future and financial stability. Further more; interracial marriages have been increasing in many nations. For example, in Korea interracial marriages have been increasing to about thirty thousand every year.  20% of the populations in 41 countries consist of immigrants.

By the year 2020 their will be an estimate of 5 million interracial marriage couples just in South Korea alone. As of today,  the following table shows the statistics for the foreigners living in

Korea as officials, laborers, or business personnel etc. 

Foreigners in Korea

Total Foreigners

Total Foreigners

Total Foreigners

Total Number

China

Taiwan

Nepal

U.S.A

Uzbekistan

India

Vietnam

Canada

Australia

Philippines

Sri Lanka

United Kingdom

Thailand

Bangladesh

Myanmar

Japan

Pakistan

Germany

Mongolia

Russia

Other

Indonesia

Cambodia

The foreigners that are coming to Korea, are reaching approx. 1.2 million this year. By 2020, the population of foreigners will reach approx. between 3 to 5 million, about 10%-13% of the Korean population. Korea once was a nation that sent man power, but now is changing to receiving man power. That is why we should evangelize to foreigners in Korea and this is what the Lord said:

2. Biblical Background for Evangelizing the People   

A. Jesus Commanded Us

Mark 16:15 "...preach the gospel to every creature"

Matthew 28:19-20 "...teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded "          

B. Philip introduced Jesus to Andrew

John 12 : 20-21

"And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast  The same

came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we

would see Jesus. Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.

Just as Philip and Andrew, being Jews, showed concern for the Greeks (Gentiles), so it should

be the same for us, to minister to the foreigners in Korea and lead them to Christ.

C. Philip preached Gospel to Ethiopian Eunuch ( Act 8:26-39 )

Philip witnessed to an ETHIOPIAN eunuch (Gentile) who was visiting Jerusalem. Then on the     way back to his home, he heard the Gospel by evangelist Philip and then was saved and

baptized. I believe that after he returned to his own country he began to evangelize to his        people.

D. Peter preached Cornelius ( Acts 10:1-11:8 )

Peter (Jew) preached the Gospel to the household of Cornelius (Roman soldier-Gentile)

so that they were saved, baptized, and became members of Body of Christ.

3. The Obstacles Confronted in Missionary Works

We have a strong, traditional concept that a missionary must go out of their home country

to another land, but now we are living in a global world that is changing. Now we are not only sending workers overseas but foreign workers are coming into Korea.

Since the 1990s, the Korean economy has gone from that of a third world country to a first world country, where many people are coming to live and work. Its getting easier to be missionary in our own country because we can minister to all different kinds of race, culture, religious background, tradition and lifestyle.

Plus, its much easier to evangelize and influence them spiritually, since they are not pressured by their own national religion, culture/tradition, peer pressure, persecution, family ties and etc. Also, to be able to evangelize to them in Korea, they are more likely to listen to the Gospel and become saved, because they are not continually looking over their shoulder in fear.

However the mission does have some problems:

(1) The shortages of spiritually qualified workers for foreign ministry who can witness the

Gospel clearly, follow up and make disciples.

(2) Language Barrier

(3) Limitations of understanding their background, culture and religion

(4) Discrimination and prejudice.

4. Why is Ministering to Foreigners in Korea so Important ?

- Several Cases for Ministerial Works in Korea -

We can easily be missionary to foreigners in our own country. And it is much more easy to      evangelize and influence them spiritually here then their own country. Here several cases

for ministerial works conducted in Korea are introduced as follows ;

Case #1 

Our Seoul Church/Disciple Mission sent Baek Jung Ja to Mongolia as a missionary 10 years ago. She has been discipling many Mongolian girls and oung women there, especially at Ulanbatra University, where she teaches Hangul, the Korean language. Then she brought two ladies to Korea, Gan ToYa (father is a 3 star General in Mongolia) and Myung, Hoo Zol where they were baptize in the Han River and participated in the Lord's Supper at our church. We thank the Lord for His calling and faithfulness in Baek Jung Ja's life and ministry for so many years.

Case #2 

In 2004, Brigadier General Mark Graper of the US Air Force and his wife Melinda, members of the Officers Christian Fellowship (OCF) couples Bible study in which I was involved, introduced me to the First Secretary of the Mongolian Embassy, Bazarjv Jargalsikhan. After our introduction, I began to follow up with him through discipleship training at my church. Bazarjv also brought Baturr and his wife Chuka, who is an exchange professor in Seoung Kwyun Kwan University. I trained them for one year, before they went back to visit Mongolia.

In 2007 Bazarjv Jargalsikhan invited me to a welcome dinner for the Mongolian president at the Lotte Hotel where I met two Koreans who were ministering among the foreign laborers in Seoul. One man, Deacon Chang, was working at a shelter where the foreign laborers came for free room and board while they were looking for work.

For these foreigners to stay there, they need to attend Gospel meetings, Bible study, prayer meetings, and church services. These laborers come from many different countries like India, Mongolia, Nepal, Russia, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Kazakhstan, and Georgia. Then I began preaching and teaching the Bible there as well using evangelistic movies as my teaching foundation.

Then I would explain the biblical stories that they had just watched. This method proved to be a very effective tool to help present the Gospel at the shelter. The method brought one hundred foreigners to Christ!  Some continue to go in and out of the shelter as they find and then lose jobs, but still many come and find the Lord to be saved.

However, even those that are saved still struggle and lose hope; so I do my best to continue to minister to them through donations (food and clothing), inviting them to our prayer breakfasts, concerts and etc. hoping to reenergize them, challenge them, and to encourage them too.

Then last year, about twenty laborers did not have a place to go, so I opened the doors of my church for them to stay until they find their own place. In the last couple of months I have been doing some remodeling in my house so I provided some jobs for them to do along with pay and meals to help them a little financially.

Case #3

Pastor Joseph Kim from Seoul Mongolian Church, started this church eight years ago. His church congregation is about 50 members, 70% of which are students, and the rest are foreign laborers. The church used to meet in a Korean church, but in the spring of 2009, they were able to rent a place of their own. Even those they are renting, they are very thankful and excited that they have a place of their own. Pastor Joseph ministers in Korean, but bilingual Mongolians interpret to the ones that dont understand Korean that well.

Case #4

From 1994 to 1999, Pastor Oh Byung Soo received discipleship training from myself and has been the pastor of An San Mission Church for twenty years now. He started a multi-racial mission church with members from countries such as the Philippines, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc., and he has concentrated on raising and developing disciples, leadership, laborers, and making different racial teams and local churches. When some of these members returned home (their country), Pastor Oh visits them and begins to help them start their own ministries and churches. Pastor Ohs ministry practices have extended too many different countries.

Case #5

Kim Chul Hyae is the Elder of Ansan Dong Bu Church. I trained him to be a disciple for several years during the early 90s. He started a Chinese laborer ministry in his church four years ago and has twenty Chinese members now. Fifteen of them have accepted the Lord. Also, Park Sang Young has served as a missionary in China for eleven years and Sister Seok Jung Hee was disciple at my church for eight years. They will return to China to continue Gods glory and their ministry.

Case #6

There are two hundred three different nationalities in Korea and on Aug. 15th, 2009, 7,000 people from one hundred countries participated in the Korea Migrant Mission Expo. at the Yeo Ui Do Full Gospel Church. Also, every week about five hundred mission groups and local churches meet in 20 different languages.

Currently, worship and service for foreigners are being held in more than twenty different languages. For example, there are Chinese (66 places), Mongolian (30), Vietnamese (28), English (28), Philippines (21) Russian (20), Indonesian (18), Thai (12), and Nepalese(10). The representative service places are Young-lak, Yoido Full-gospel, Na-som, Onnuri, Myungsung, Suwon Jungang Baptist, Jiguchon, Hallelujah, Juan Presbyterian churches and Handong University. The majority of foreign workers stay in Seoul, Inchon, Ansan and Busan areas.

5. The conflicts which converts to Christians in Korea are confronting.

There are many foreigners who come here with military backgrounds or a future with the military. Many foreigners have a great fear of becoming a Christian because of the rejection and persecution of their people. Many times they face pressure from their families to marry a pagan spouse and to be married by their own respective pagan priests. If we do not instill in them a strong faith in God they will collapse under the pressures of their families, people, and culture. If they can be reached with the Truth and become strong soldiers for Christ it would be a very effective way to spread the Gospel when they go back to their own land.

6. Conclusion 

Most nations have their own military forces. The military is a very influential and effective body in their country. believe that the military has many great prospects for spreading the Gospel. So, I'm praying and hoping to target the foreign overseas military students and business men from now on. If AMCF members, either from Korea or from other countries, can join and support me or start their own ministries in this vision I think the Lord will bless the ministry and do many mighty works to make it fruitful.

Jesus Christ is the Savior for all nations. He is not culture-bound, nor tradition-bound. His love surpasses all and it has the ability to change anyone from any background. I give all the glory

to the Lord who called such a sinner like me and used me for Him and the profit of others. May God call and use you in the same way  as you trust the Lord and follow Him. May God bless you as you are a channel of His blessing.

**************************************************************************************

The following pictures are a collection of author's ministerial works conducted

during the last period. 

10 1 1

1  mytestabc     test 2016-09-27 1153
2  test     test 2016-09-27 1140
3  Introduction to MSO Program     Park,BackMan 2009-09-03 3822
 Ministry to the Foreigners in Korea     Yoo,GangSik 2009-09-03 3151
5  Personal Evangelism     Kim,MooWoog 2009-09-03 3053
6  Republic of Korea (ROK) Christian Vietnam Veterans' Reconciliat...     Kang,HanGyu 2009-08-31 3188
7  Introduction of KMCF Interaction     Kim.ducksu 2009-08-25 7018
8  Evangelizing to Military Cadets and Junior officers(MCJOs) in Repub...     Kim.DukHwan 2009-08-13 3364
9  Lessons Learned from the English Camps Cambodia     Lee.Kap.Jin 2009-08-13 3152
10  Launching of the Cyber Institute for Military Ethics and Leadership     Oh.Hyungjae 2009-08-13 3336