Untitled Document

Ministry in China

Dunlap

2009-10-12 오전 11:20:00  3395
- File 1 : JourneytotheWestRevisited2009.doc  (66 KB), Download : 1049

Journey to the West Revisited:

Great Vision Comes from God’s Grace and His Love for the World;

ACCTS in China, Past… Present… and Future

China, a Great Vision and a Great Country.

In the book of the Acts of the Apostles (Acts 16:9), Paul had a vision for a journey west to Europe. This vision was born of God’s gift of grace (Eph 3: 7-9) and Love for the entire world (John 3:16). It was not his own vision, lest he boast of any result. The westward journey of the gospel, which went even to Spain (Rom 15:24), was not completed by Paul but did continue onward and westward to Europe.   Then the gospel spread in all directions -- westward to the Americas, and southward to Africa. Later, through the great missionary movements, the gospel spread both east and west to places such as Korea and China.  

Recently part of the emerging Chinese Christian church has received a great vision. The Church sees 100,000 Chinese missionaries moving the gospel west again. This time starting in China and moving westward along the ancient Silk Road, back to Jerusalem where the good news all began. This great vision is inspiring and is like Paul’s vision as it unfolded in the book of Acts along with much suffering, persecution, and opposition.  

What role does God have for ACCTS in assisting our partners in the gospel in Asia and China in particular?  Before considering that matter we must first admit that such a vision, like Paul’s, is given to undeserving and unprepared stewards.  Second, we know that even in our weakness His strength is proclaimed as leaders and military Christian fellowships (MCFs) begin, mature, and (as ACCTS MMI says) become “light house MCFs” like the Korean MCF and MSO who are effectively sharing the gospel in their own country and with their neighboring Asian countries.  But how, as a retired Christian military officer, did my involvement in a love for China begin and where has it led?

My China Experience as a Retired Christian Military Officer Begins

My personal ACCTS relationship with China started in 1995 when I initiated a Pray and Plan meeting in our ACCTS office to ask God for how we might assist in China. Then my life really changed in 1999 when I was asked to meet a retired Chinese colonel who was visiting in the USA.  This meeting was to start a life-long love for China and its wonderful people and history.  As with many good things, they start with love, especially God’s love for people.  The colonel, a non-Christian, did not speak English and I did not speak Chinese.  During a break in the meeting we were left alone together in a room.  I showed the colonel pictures of my children and he then reciprocated. There was a world map on the wall and we then pointed to where each son or daughter was located. Loving the world and China in a life-changing way was to start with a love of this colonel through sharing our lives through simply sharing pictures of our children…. focusing on people and loving them.  

The colonel was meeting with me because a number of retired US, Korean, and other generals had met with a group of retired Chinese generals in Beijing earlier that year. The result of the Beijing meeting was the impetus to investigate the exchange of cadets between the USA and China.  The colonel was visiting the USA, among other purposes to investigate the possibility of cadet exchanges. At lunch through the interpreter the colonel said, “I speak for our provincial government and want to invite you to bring West Point cadets to China and I want you to come to the peasant village where I was born”.

The end result of this is that for the last ten years since that meeting ACCTS has brought West Point cadets to China every summer by Chinese invitation.  Also, because of that meeting each year ACCTS has helped the colonel’s village by pouring out unconditional love on the village through providing textbooks and computers for the elementary school, starting a village library, providing medical visits, teaching English, etc.  After about three years of visits to the village, the colonel became a Christian and today he is my best friend in China.  But this was just the beginning of Pauline-like return visits to this great country.

ACCTS’ Ministry in China, the guiding principles

Our goals and principles in our assistance in China are:

1. To be culturally sensitive,  and to focus on building friendships , trust, cooperation, and peaceful relations through:
    1. Educational and cultural visits and exchanges
    2. Development projects in two peasant villages
    3. Medical assistance projects
  2. To live up to our Chinese name: “Love the World” (Ai Shi Jie, 世界) which in Chinese is pronounced like “ACCTS”.

1. “To listen, to learn, and to love”, the phrase we have used to guide ACCTS efforts and visits in China.

“Love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action”.  I John 3:18

ACCTS Medical Assistance in China

Love is often shown by being a part of a physical healing process. Jesus often showed His love for people in that way. Thus, our ACCTS medical trips into China are opportunities to show that love, especially in peasant villages.   

Our last medical trip into China began in late March 2009 when three medical doctors, an emergency medical technician, and He Gang, ACCTS staff member, arrived in Kunming with 4 large boxes of medicine. Kunming is the capital of Yunnan province, where  most of China’s minority nationalities live. It was a four hour drive to get to a poor village where a small group of Miao minority peasants live. Three Chinese Catholic sisters then joined the group. We have the same God and are all one in Jesus Christ. The village is located in a remote mountain area with access by a very narrow, bumpy, craggy and rugged small path. All the peasants including kids holding wild flowers in their hands were waiting for the team’s arrival. They sang welcome songs and gave very warm greetings. A clinic was conducted in their two room school. The team split into two groups. One worked on adults and the other worked on kids and the  Catholic nuns helped as interpreters. Most of the families live in sheds with straw as the roof and branches as wall, with the ground as their beds. The whole family would live in a space of about 10 square meters. Pumpkin and corn are their food for three meals everyday and all the year round. This village has no electricity, no clean water.  The sun was setting and it was getting dark when the doctors finished the treatment for all the patients and kids, and gave each one medicine for their sickness. As the team prepared to leave, all the villagers gathered around them with tears on every face, holding the team’s hands, thanking them, and asking them to come again. They cried and were unwilling to let the doctors leave. The ACCTS team was also moved to tears. The team let the villagers know the truth that God will never forsake them and that God loved them. Although the team was all extremely tired, they left feeling encouraged in Spirit.  As they encouraged the village and served the people they were moved and touched themselves.  They could see the Holy Spirit working and knew that God was with them as they came down the mountain very late that night.

Next the team went to another Miao minority village. Again a large number of Miao people were standing in lines before the village church and singing songs to welcome their arrival. After worship in the church with Miao people the team began their clinic work. Again that night when the team got to a county inn it was about 12 midnight.

The next morning the team arrived at a Lisu minority village, which they had also visited last year. Again the village is located in the remote mountains. Most in this village were Christians. The car had to stop at foot of a mountain and the doctors had to climb up to the village. They spent whole day there and treated patients and distributed medicine to them.

On this trip, the team doctors went to three minority villages and treated over 200 people including kids. In each village, people were lined up waiting to see the doctors, and they treated people from morning until dark. Stomach ailments, headaches, dangerously high blood pressure, and diabetes were common. Many of the problems were directly related to their polluted water supply. Two of these villages had Christian churches, and the team attended church and worshipped with these brothers and sisters in Christ. These people were very poor, but they have very beautiful singing voices in church.

ACCTS has helped one of these minority villages in southern China for several years now. One year we heard that if a villager had a thermos bottle he thought he was rich. The next year we bought a thermos bottle for each villager. The thermos bottles were distributed by the church leaders. The church has a several month program each year to train church music leaders through out the province. It was exciting to see the musicians practicing on their accordions in different fields around the village. For the last two years ACCTS has provided the finances for the food for the musicians attending the training. 

When several city officials from Kunming heard about ACCTS medical service for these poor villages, they invited the team to their office and had a cordial and friendly discussion. They have offered to provide both local doctors and logistics assistance to the program next year. God continues to open the door wider and wider before us in China as we share His love through helping people be healed.  ACCTS  has  also worked with the Kunming Aviators Association, which has many retired Chinese officers in it.  This is in addition to working in partnership with the Beijing and Nanjing Aviators Associations on different projects.

The Salon Example 

What is a Salon?  Webster’s Dictionary defines it as:

Salon’     2. A reception in a French salon, esp. one at which celebrities gather;

hence, a fashionable assemblage.  

Have you ever attended a salon?  Imagine my surprise when recently I was asked to address salons in five of China’s major cities (Shenzhen, Dongguan, Chongqing, Changsha and Beijing).  The invitation to speak came based upon a very informal gathering in our Denver home. The purpose of that gathering was to better acquaint our Chinese guests with American culture.  We were hosting them on a trip that included their attendance at the 2008 National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, DC.  We invited friends from different parts of the Denver community into our home for an evening of sharing perspectives with these guests from Shenzhen, China.  I asked our American guests to each tell one thing that they would like our Chinese guests to know about the USA.  Our Chinese guest said that he would like me to participate in a similar program in China.

At the end of that February 2008 trip to the USA our Chinese guest said, “This trip changed my life.” He then invited me to speak at salons in China that he has organized with communities of interests (academic, business, banking, professional, government, GNGOs, urban planners, cultural, media, etc) in different cities in China.  In each case there would be between 50-100 present at the salons.

Thus, in June 2008 we participated in the first of these salons which was hosted, by the China Development Institute (CDI), a Government NGO (GNGO) in Shenzhen, a city of over 14 million. That’s right, a GNGO, an “independently” run but government funded organization (The Rand Corporation in USA is also an independently run NGO but has had significant government funding of its studies.)  I leave it to others to really explain the emerging GNGOs around the world. The Vice President of CDI attended the salon as well as dignitaries from all over the Pearl River Delta!

In each salon I gave the same requested 40 minute presentation on what a NGO could do to assist or “bless” China. ACCTS China Staff member He Gang was my interpreter.  It gave me the opportunity to share my love for China and to explain why ACCTS, or “Love the World” (our name, Ai Shi Jie, 世界 in Chinese sounds like “ACCTS”), was in China.   This was followed by a question and answer period and then shorter talks by other speakers, including the ACCTS team members. After a refreshment break there was a time of entertainment using the talents of those present!  Usually the ACCTS delegation would take part with a group song (e.g.  “She’ll be coming Round the Mountain”), or a solo by He Gang. The Chinese participation could be a native instrumental, a song, a dance or a poem.  The salon usually ended with everyone singing “You’re my Sunshine.”  It was a delightful cross-cultural experience with very influential leaders, and a lot of young people also!

The second salon was held in Dongguan, a city of over 8 million.  The host this time was the LANWA International Group, a 15 year old company that has built 700 factories for companies such as Nokia and Samsung in the Dongguan area. About 70% of the world’s computers are made in Dongguan.  I was surprised to walk into the salon and find that the title of my talk was “Why do I pray for China?” and that the backdrop with the title covered the entire wall!  The LANWA founder and board chairman was so supportive of cross-cultural communication and gave the salon his full support.

Our host from Shenzhen then travelled with us to Chongqing, a city of over 4 million and the WWII capital of China, for the third salon. This time the salon was hosted by Chongqing Technology and Business University and my talk was entitled “Cross Cultural Exchange.”  Several hundred university students also took part in this salon. We stayed at the University and the President and faculty leaders were very gracious to us. Several senior Party Secretaries /Vice Secretaries took part in the salon.  One Secretary travelled many hours to the salon to thank ACCTS for our humanitarian help for Wuxi County.

The last salon took place in Beijing, a city of over 10 million people.  Our host this time was a real estate company at a lovely Monet garden-like facility with impressionist reproductions adorning the walls of the salon site.  Again our host from Shenzhen travelled to Beijing to introduce us to his friends from the salon.  Among the attendees was the top criminal lawyer in Beijing, the former interpreter for Margaret Thatcher during her visit to Beijing, the editor of the Magazine of Urbanization, as well as others from the academic and international diplomatic community.

In 2009 I was again invited by my Chinese host to speak at a salon in Changsha, another

provincial capital. This time, our host was a mayor  and party secretary.  The venue was a

normal teaching college for provincial elementary school teachers.

You could change China with this!”  A Chinese professor (PhD from Columbia U):

ACCTS Ethical Leadership Programs in China

In July and August 2007 ACCTS participated in ethical leadership executive training efforts at Tsinghua University in Beijing. The students were Chinese executives from large real estate companies and were very interested in the course material. The material was presented by  Col Larry Donnithorne, ACCTS co-worker, the US Army retired  author of the book, “The West Point Way of Leadership”.   The New York Times has said that this book is one of the most pirated books in China. The team was asked to do  some military marching drills with the students.  Evidently they thought that the strength of the West Point with the students. There were even opportunities  to share the gospel informally in the program. At the end of the course the 6o executives warmly applauded for a long time.  A very well-known professor in China, made a closing remark. He said:

"A hundred years ago, there was a missionary,  Samuel Pollard from England, who went to China. Samuel Pollard built churches, school and hospital in a poor area and turned that area into a prosperous one.  The missionaries had a love from God.  Dr Donnithorne is like a missionary. He gave us not only the knowledge of ethical leadership but also a message from God! "  

As soon as the professor finished his speech, every one in the classroom warmly applauded. A lady executive said again and again, "Larry looks like an angel". Some of the students were very moved.

This is an example of the doors in China that God continues to open.  ACCTS has now been asked by Tsinghua University and other large companies in China to participate several times in ethical leadership programs for executives.  ACCTS has also participated in an exchange program with the China Institutes for Contemporary International Relations, a  Chinese government institute.  This in tern has opened doors into the Armed Police Academy near Beijing for the ACCTS English language program.

What we have learned in China

We have learned that God is at work in China and that we can partner with our Chinese  friends in experiencing Him at work there.

As do many Chinese Christians, ACCTS subscribes to three “self” principles -- that Military Christian Fellowships (MCFs) should be self-governing, self-propagating, and self-supporting.  Thus, ACCTS’ vision is to assist MCFs and MCF leaders to carry out the vision that God has called them through their own prayer and planning (P&P), using their own resources. 

We continue to learn in China as we listen and love there.

Post script acknowledgement:  My thanks to He Gang and Jodie Wang of ACCTS for their partnership in the gospel and the use of information from some of their reports in this paper.

Prepared by

Cal Dunlap, ACCTS  Executive Director

1466 S. Lee Ct

Lakewood, Colorado, USA

+1+303-986-8808

Email: director@accts.org

24 1 3

1  Functional - Regional Conflict     Greshel 2009-10-12 3026
 Ministry in China     Dunlap 2009-10-12 3396
3  VP(Mwaniki)     Mwaniki 2009-09-11 2957
4  VP(MA'AYH)     MAAYAH 2009-09-11 2972
5  VP(BenCiron)     BenCiron 2009-09-04 3146